Leather Bag Etiquette: Do's and Don'ts for Every Fashionista
by Sabbatine Bin Hassan on Mar 30, 2023
Leather bags are a timeless accessory that can elevate any outfit to the next level. There is a vast range of unique and premium leather bags that you can choose from, such as - Tote Bags, Crossbody Bags, Clutch Bags, Backpacks, Shoulder Bags, Sling Bags, Hobo Bags, Canteen Bags, Duffel Bags, Weekender Bags, Bucket Bags, Briefcases, Messenger Bags, Round Bags, and more.
Whichever leather bag you decide to carry, it's important to know the do's and don'ts of leather bag etiquette, to ensure that you look stylish and put together.
- Keep your leather bag clean and well-maintained. Leather is a durable material, but it needs to be cared for properly to maintain its quality and appearance. Use a leather cleaner and conditioner to keep your bag in top shape.
- Match your bag to your outfit. While you don't necessarily need to match your bag to your shoes, it's a good idea to choose a bag that complements your outfit. For example, if you're wearing a casual outfit, a tote bag or backpack would be a good choice.
- Wear your bag in the appropriate way. A crossbody bag or shoulder bag is ideal for a casual look, while a clutch bag is best for formal occasions. A wristlet or canteen bag is perfect for a night out, and a backpack or sling bag is great for a more practical look.
- Choose the right size bag. A briefcase or messenger bag is ideal for work or business meetings, while a weekender bag is perfect for a weekend getaway. A bucket bag or round bag is ideal for a more casual look, while a hobo bag is perfect for everyday use.
- Invest in quality leather bags. Leather bags are an investment, so it's important to choose high-quality bags that will last for years. Look for bags made from full-grain leather, which is the highest quality leather available.
- Overstuff your bag. While it can be tempting to carry everything you need with you, overstuffing your bag can damage the leather and make it look bulky and unappealing. Only carry the essentials, and leave the rest at home.
- Wear your bag in the wrong way. For example, a clutch bag is not meant to be worn over your shoulder, and a backpack should not be worn over one shoulder. Make sure you're wearing your bag in the appropriate way to avoid looking awkward.
- Mix and match leather colors. While it's okay to mix and match materials, such as leather and suede, it's not a good idea to mix and match leather colors. Stick to one color family to keep your outfit looking cohesive.
- Carry a worn-out bag. While it's true that leather bags look better with age, there comes a point where a bag is simply too worn out to be stylish. If your bag is starting to look frayed or worn, it's time to retire it and invest in a new one.
- Neglect the hardware. The hardware on your bag, such as zippers and buckles, should be cleaned and maintained regularly to ensure that they function properly. If your hardware is starting to look rusty or damaged, it's time to replace it.
In conclusion, leather bags are a fashion staple that every fashionista should own. By following these do's and don'ts of leather bag etiquette, you can ensure that you look stylish and put together every time you carry a leather bag. So go ahead and invest in that perfect leather bag, and show it off with confidence!